<VV> Blower Fan Bearing

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 1 14:17:20 EDT 2009

While blower bearings seldom need replacing (I lost two in the lasts 40
years), they CAN go quickly and unexpectedly. (And to you naysayers, YES
one of those two DID just that.)

My recommendation is to go with the cartridge bearing, if you are planning
on keeping the car for a long time. The problem with the others is that the
original factory design requires stripping the top of the engine down to
the block, and replacing the top block gasket when you put it all back
together again. This is not to mention the trouble in pressing out the old
bearing and pressing in the new and getting it at the right height
(something you should not take lightly.) Plus, they are dedicated bearings,
and not often to be found. In all, not a job you can do easily, quickly, or
at the side of the road like you can the cartridge bearing (which uses
dirt-common bearings). While you will still have to strip the engine down
to the block, it'll be the last time you'll ever have to do that, should
you ever need another blower bearing replacement. Replacing the bearings in
a cartridge bearing takes all of about 20 minutes with nothing more than a
1/4" drive socket set and a Phillips screwdriver.

-Mark