<VV> What has CORSA done for us?

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Thu Sep 3 18:35:29 EDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Robert Marlow wrote:

> Great thinking, Hank.  Let's all of us stop paying CORSA dues, stop
> paying for, I believe you said, "a magazine subscription."  CORSA will
> fold, but all those little local clubs will carry on, and of course
> there is this here internet thing.
>
> Of course, we on Virtual Vairs will have to pony up a little more than
> we have previously, to keep the server going, or pay for some
> commercial
> establishment to host us, but hey, we each have that saved dues
> money to
> work with and it won't take but a fraction of that per person.  We're
> still miles ahead.
>
> And of course, some day at one of those local club events, someone
> will
> trip on a folding chair and break their hip, and as luck would have it
> they have an aggressive lawyer who encourages them to sue.  No
> problem,
> the club has liability insurance.  Oh, no, wait, that went away when
> CORSA went away, so he'll just have to sue the individual members of
> the
> local club.  Maybe they have insurance.  Or maybe that local club's
> members pooled the rest of their CORSA dues savings and bought a club
> policy.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  It costs more per member than the
> CORSA dues savings and some members refuse to pay, but hey, at least
> we
> don't have that nasty situation where some local members belong to a
> national club and some don't, so we're still better off.
>
> Of course, there is no longer an annual CORSA convention, just a
> pastiche of local events, and maybe some regional ones if some clubs
> can
> get together and agree on something.  People from the west coast will
> never actually meet people from the east coast, but they van
> correspond
> online.  After all, there are Goodguys shows so who really needs a
> Corvair-specific national gathering.  Man, things are so much better
> than when CORSA was around, supporting local clubs while failing to
> dictate policy.
>
> And of course, eventually a group of guys, maybe from VV or Fastvairs,
> will decide to join together to do a big centralized gathering
> inspired
> by the internet connections.  They'll book a hotel, schedule
> activities.  Each of the venues will ask for a copy of an insurance
> certificate.  There is no longer a CORSA to count on for this
> insurance,
> but they can buy a policy.  It costs more, since it is a smaller group
> and it does not maintain regular coverage with the risk spread out
> among
> a wider geographic area and multiple events and a larger membership
> base.  And the cost greatly outstrips what each member used to pay in
> CORSA dues, but it's the principle of the thing, after all.

> [...]

Good scenario, Bob. Let me take it one step further...

Then one day, at a local club meeting someone says, "Hey you guys...
you know what would be cool? We should get together with all the other
individual clubs and form a NATIONAL club!"

And the rest is history...

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman