<VV> Concours Entry Numbers VS street class

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Fri Sep 4 16:08:23 EDT 2009

<SNIP>

Perhaps building interest in the conventions would be more effective.

There was a day, long ago, when CORSA's primary interests were in the
Concours.  There was NO street division.  Convention attendance was dismal
at best especially when one considers the member to participant ratio.
CORSA had failed to realize the Concours was the icing on the cake ... they
needed to build a foundation to support the Concours but they did not
understand that would require providing something for EVERYONE!

<SNIP>

My 63 Spyder is in, I'd say average condition. However, it is my daily
driver. Last night we had our monthly chapter meeting (Vintage Corsa).
Looking at the cross section of the many cars & FCs that were there, we had
Corvairs of many different qualities; Concourse winners to well, still
needing work. One guy tried to apologize for the condition of his car to me.
I stopped him and congratulated him that he had a Corvair on the road. It
doesn't matter what condition it was in. What mattered was that he was
driving it and enjoyed it. To me, that's what having a vintage car is all
about. I DO love to see the "Trailer Queen" Concourse winners but in my
opinion, they don't advertise our favorite car to the general public as well
as seeing a Corvair in the grocery store parking lot or cruising down the
road. I take my Spyder to at least two or three "Show & Shines" a month.
These shows are for ALL types of cars. I have spoken with many people that
by seeing my car has sparked an interest in Corvairs. I feel that CORSA and
chapters would be doing themselves a great injustice NOT making a place for
and welcoming Corvairs of ALL conditions.

Just my opinion, Flame on...

Dave Thompson
63 Spyder vert
Westminster, CA