<VV> New Owner/Member Networking/Technical advice

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Sep 6 15:25:20 EDT 2009

Mark and I agree more often than some realize.  If you're not into the
social side of a club, but need technical advice and networking for parts or
services, CORSA membership is very worthwhile for the new owner/enthusiast.

In my work selling specialty Automotive parts, I am amazed with the number
of people who will buy a car to drive or restore, and have no clue about it
at all.   I recommend to them that they find a club site online and see if
they have a message board---most do.  Some, like BCA and Cadillac-La Salle
club have a feature that CORSA has never apparently looked into, though VV
usually gives enough experience opinions to do the job.

Online Club Certified Technical Advisors.  They can be set up either by year
(in our case EM or LM or FC), or by specialty---Electrical, engine,
body/paint, interior, etc.   An example of the latter can be found on
www.layitlow.com.  My company sponsors the Paint and Interior Forum, and I
monitor the list for questions about weatherstrips, gaskets/bumpers, body
plugs and body mounting pads.

A prime example was the throwout bearing/pilot bushing squeal question VV
got today.  From the replies to the OP, the owner now makes their own
decision on when and which parts to replace.

To the member inqiring---This list created the Corvair Basics book, of which
many of the questions you may ask are answered in hard print and CD-ROM
format.  All of us who were involved did it for one reason----We know how
much fun our cars are, and we want you to enjoy yours too. A ready reference
for new owner questions has not only helped hundreds of owners, but has been
a source of revenue (not a drain on resources) for the club,  accomplishing
both of the objectives of the VV members at the time the book was proposed.
Get the book and make it your ready reference.  The list has literally
centuries of general knowledge, and the tinkering and innovating that is the
nature of many of our members. If it's not in the basics book, ask---you'll
usually get plenty of tips and opinions on just about any topic.

Hank