<VV> 4 doors (opinion - observation)

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon Sep 7 22:42:59 EDT 2009

At 04:26 PM 9/7/2009,

>   Corvair is one of the better looking 4 doors, but compared to the 2 door,
>   it's second chair... collectors like the LOOK of the 2
>   door better.
>   H. Yarnell
>

>   I always find this a little strange.  The main difference between
> the two and four door body style, other than the number of doors,
> is the "C" pillar width.  If it wasn't such an aesthetic
> distraction, why were rear window corner pieces added to the Yenkos
> and the Finch Sprints that widen this pillar, and in at least the
> Yenko's case, attempt to make the roof line look exactly like a four door?
>

>   Stephen Upham

The Yenko Stingers were intended to be able to compete in SCCA road
race events.   Sports cars...

Stingers were fitted with those sail panel add-ons to make them
appear more like sports cars than a 5 seater coupe, what with the
lack of a back seat the Stingers presented, which left a lot of open
space in back.  The sail panels were nothing more than cosmetics to
make the car appear more fittingly like a 2-seater.   Some of the
late-later Stingers done up by Yenko didn't have the sail panels.

The '69 Goodyear "test car" Stinger is one example (maybe the only example?)

(someone correct me if I err)

tony..