<VV> Page 4-4 (differential)

John Ingram johnvi at cloud9.net
Tue Sep 8 10:41:47 EDT 2009

Page 4-4 in the '1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual' has a section
called "Rear Axle Noise Diagnosis".

My 1965 4-speed transmission makes gear noise that starts at 60 mph
and stops over 63 mph.  From what I have read here, this may be
"normal".  'How to Keep Your Corvair Alive' has an adjustment
procedure (on page 83) for the side bearing adjustment sleeve.  It
tells how to re-adjust but, this will only work if the adjustments
were made properly originally.  Otherwise, engine transmission
removal etc.

I am hoping someone has done this and has some advice. At this point
I may leave it alone because I may be trying to solve a nonexistent
(normal) problem and at the same time may cause a new problem.. What
do you think?

John Ingram