<VV> Yenko Sail Panels

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Sep 8 17:16:26 EDT 2009

All: Tony is absolutely correct about the Yenko sail panels.  The Goodyear
car was probably sold without them because it was to be used to test the new
small redial performance tires they were developing. It was never raced in
the SCCA.  Goodyear was reported to be disappointed their Stinger would only
do 135mph.

Current info is that Yenko Stingerized at least two Canadian Corvairs for
their FIA Gp 4 based sedan racing series.  I have pictures of one of them
without both the sail panels and deck lid.

Suggesting Yenko was restyling the LM 2 door for simply styling purposes is
far from the then current effort.  He was trying to satisfy the SCCA.
Stingers came without the back seat due to the SCCA's conviction that
sportscars do not have useable back seats.  You could get a Stinger with the
stock back seat, but it was an option.

Shelby Mustangs had similar appearance changes in '65 to satisfy the SCCA's
definition of a sports car.  The fact that the SCCA was inconsistent in
their definition is another story.  They let the 911 run in C-Production as
a sports car and in the TransAm series.  This is a story of politics and a
need to fill the grids.

Incidentally, there is science on the placement of the doors on the Stinger
deck lid.  That's where the high pressure air moves to at well about normal
road speed.  The doors actually pressurized the engine compartment some at
speed.  Many years ago, Warren did pressure test on his race car and found
what many had assumed to be to true to be true.

Conversely, the Fitch roof did nothing good for the air flow into the engine
compartment.  It was strictly for styling purpose.

Historically Yours,
			James

>   I always find this a little strange.  The main difference between the
two and four door body style, other than the number of doors, is the "C"
pillar width.  If it wasn't such an aesthetic
> distraction, why were rear window corner pieces added to the Yenkos and
the Finch Sprints that widen this pillar, and in at least the Yenko's case,
attempt to make the roof line look exactly like a four door?

>   Stephen Upham

The Yenko Stingers were intended to be able to compete in SCCA road race
events.   Sports cars...

Stingers were fitted with those sail panel add-ons to make them appear more
like sports cars than a 5 seater coupe, what with the lack of a back seat
the Stingers presented, which left a lot of open space in back.  The sail
panels were nothing more than cosmetics to make the car appear more
fittingly like a 2-seater.   Some of the late-later Stingers done up by
Yenko didn't have the sail panels.

The '69 Goodyear "test car" Stinger is one example (maybe the only example?)

(someone correct me if I err)

tony..