<VV> chapter rules revisions?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 09:16:52 EDT 2009

At 10:00 PM 9/8/2009, AeroNed at aol.com wrote:
>Wayne,
>
>Sorry for the delay in getting back to you ,but I wanted to get some ducks
>lined up.
>
>I proposed reviewing the minimum chapter size and making the CORSA
>membership a percentage. In my opinion 100% CORSA membership would
>be ideal, but  I
>just don't think that would work with every chapter. I proposed that the
>minimum number be 6 and half of each chapter have to also be CORSA members.

A chapter need only have a president, a VP, a treasurer, a secretary,
and perhaps (although not necessary) a director-at-large to qualify
as an "organization" which holds meetings, collects dues for
operating expenses, and actually ever does something even if it's
only having some people get together once a month to discuss what
they talked about the previous month or plan for the spring and/or
fall picnic.

Mandating that a chapter have ten or more members to qualify isn't
that logical in this day and age with membership and leisure
participation time shrinking.

>That  means if your chapter has 200 members, 100 have to be CORSA members. I
>don't  think that's a good compromise.

...was this a typo?   ...don't think this is a *bad* compromise?   Or
did you mean that although it's a compromise you could live with you
still don't think it's good...?

The 50% membership idea isn't too bad a compromise.   In a perfect
world 100% would be fine but there's that element we've all talked
about that would be troublesome.

>I also proposed that no chapter be
>located  within 50 miles or 1 hour driving distance to another chapter.

A sizeable percentage of the chapter I'm in lives that far away
already.   ;)   We have members who live 30 miles south, 50 miles
east, 40 miles west, and...   Mike Stillwell, how far north are you
again?     #240 is kinda spread out.

>Anyhow, that's the starting point. We'll have to see where we go from
>here. Jason Cesana, one of our Eastern directors is helping me with this
>proposal. We are determined to find a workable way to get your club
>back under
>the CORSA umbrella.

An earlier comment regarding "plain language" explanations regarding
expenses and income might not be a bad idea.   If much of the money
is for insurance, say so and explain why so that people know where
their money is going and for what reasons.   Parliamentary procedure
is fine for decorum and protocol but when you explain things to the
membership you should do so like you're explaining how to swap out
points and plugs.

Sometimes people like simple "12 year old" explanations.

"What does CORSA actually do with the money they take in?"

(this has come up more than once locally and I bet just as often
elsewhere, from people who take one look at the issue with the
financial statements and passes that article by because it looks like
something out of the Wall Street Journal)

Maybe a common sense explanation article in the Communique with a
footnote for chapter officers to let non-member affiliates know
what's said in the article?    Couldn't hurt.   Maybe once people see
what their dues actually has to pay for, they might more quickly
consider renewing or talking someone else into joining.

I know, most people who have been CORSA members and who pay close
attention know what's spent on what.   But a lot of others do NOT
know.    And like it or not, a lot of all this revolves around the money.

tony..