<VV> Tire size/brand

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 9 11:59:17 EDT 2009

Rob,

     Not running the Z28/IROC wheels, but my son and I put 15 x 7 wheels on the front of his 65 coupe and 15 x 8's on the rear  (steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques by way of Summit).  The fronts have 4 inch backspacings and the rears have 5 inches.  We're running 205-50's on the front and 225-50's on the rear.  I think you would be hard pressed to put 225's on the front.  We have thought about 245's on the rear, and that may be doable, if you roll the fender lip.  I don't think you should be running 245's on only a 7 inch wide rim.   They will be "pinched".

     In terms of brands, I like Kumhos that we get through the Tire Rack.  They are relatively cheap and have a variety of options.  They have an "all season" directional tread tire that's nice and is on the front of the Vair, although I don't recall it's designation.  If you wnat to "corner like a bandit" in dry weather (and don't care that much about wear), try their new ECSTA XS asymmetric tires.  Just put some on my E-30 Bimmer.  Also for relatively inexpensive performance tires, you might look at Dunlop Direzza Z1's (not sure of the spelling).  They have gotten real good reviews and I'm running some on the front of the M5.

                          Travis Payne     65 Monza coupe
                           Raleigh, NC     65  500 coupe