<VV> shoulder harnesses

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Thu Sep 10 22:05:50 EDT 2009

This may be slightly off subject but...

Before I got my Corvair, I studied to build a homebuilt airplane (with
Corvair power of course). That's another story. Anyway, during my research,
there was a long discussion on an airplane e-mail chat list about shoulder
harnesses.

The jest of it was that a shoulder harness must be supported above the
shoulder so as not to press down on top of the shoulder when the wearer
leans (or is forced) forward. Otherwise there is a good chance of spinal
compression.

This comes to mind if you are trying to install shoulder harnesses in a
convertible using stock seats. There is no place to support the shoulder
belt above the wearer's shoulder (unless they are very short).

That is the reason that the modern Sebring (and other) convertible seats
have the belt that comes off high in the headrest.

A week or so I saw an early Mustang Convertible at a show where the owner
installed a center strap behind the low-back driver's seat. It came to a "Y"
with two shoulder harnesses. It looked like it would work well but could
easily cause spinal compression if the car was to make a sudden stop. I
didn't say anything to the owner due to his derogatory comments towards my
Corvair. He obviously knew MUCH more than I did (Yea right).

I just thought I'd mention this.

Dave Thompson
63 Spyder vert (with lap belts only)
Westminster, CA