<VV> Shoulder belts - seat belt life

Robert Marlow Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Sep 11 09:34:31 EDT 2009

craig nicol wrote:
> 4) The retractor and belt were about 25 years old and at the end of their
> design life.

Bob now writes:

That seat belts have a "life" is something I have long been aware of,
going back to the time that I heard an engineer describe an old seat
belt as being ready to "snap like a piece of bamboo."  And, of course,
racing sanctioning bodies have age requirements for seat belts.

But when I bought my Rampside earlier this year, it had no seat belts at
all, being a 1963 model that no prior owner felt compelled to update.
Unwilling to drive it without belts, I researched the available new
belts, and it appeared that my best source was a street rod supplier in
an adjacent state.  The FC models use an uncommon belt length, and this
particular supplier not only offered new belts in a nice selection of
colors but also was willing to work with me on lengths.

However, there was the interim to be considered.  I wanted to drive the
truck right away, not wait until the new belts arrived.  So I rummaged
through the barn and found a set of factory seat belts that I had
scavenged from a '64 Greenbrier years ago.  Probably decades ago.  In
they went.

I suspect that if stressed by the forces of a collision, these
45-year-old belts would break like that piece of bamboo.  But this did
not bother me very much, because as Jay Leno accurately noted about the
Rampside, "YOU are the airbag."

Still, at many shows and events, I see Corvairs with their
factory-original belts.  These owners should consider new belts.  Either
generic aftermarket belts like the street rodders use, or restored belts
such as those sold by the oddly-named Ssnake Oyl Products.

--Bob