<VV> EM Monza PG Idle Problem

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Sat Sep 12 16:40:51 EDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the raft of great ideas and recommendations. I stopped at the
person's house and told her of some of your suggestions. My Corvair has
only a few tools in the trunk so I was ready to head home and get the
Land Rover and its 50 lb. toolbox, timing light, dwell meter, feeler
gauges, etc., when I decided to just start the EM and listen to it myself.

I had tuned it only two days earlier, so when it proved to be a very
hard start with lots of excess white smoke out of the tailpipe, I was
concerned. Indeed, it would barely idle at all. I opened up the hood,
and using all my mechanical intuition, found the #4 spark plug wire
dangling free. Replacing it let the car start stunningly well, and
taking it for a test drive let me floor it in low range so as to clean
out the car. It did not miss a beat.

The spark plug wires are quite new but I can't tell their manufacture or
source from the writing on the wires. The plugs in the car are the AC's
recommended by Clark's. I might well up the idle a bit as the generator
light flickers at idle, but otherwise, the car seems to run quite well.

Thanks again for everyone's advice - this is like a classroom for
Corvair enthusiasts!

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME
www.landroverwriter.com