<VV> Air flow question

tkalp at cox.net tkalp at cox.net
Sun Sep 13 00:14:24 EDT 2009

Jim,

You have gotten pretty good advice.  Here is my experience.  My first V8
Corvair was a Crown conversion with the radiator mounted horizontal in
the original engine compartment, with three fans.
http://v8vairs.com/images/KalpTerry/terrykalp.htm
It cooled fantastic at idle, but at highway speeds you had to run all
three fans to keep it cool.  Running 70+ on a 90+ degree day the temp
gauge would start to slowly creep above the 210 mark. The fans were
flowing air down thru the radiator.

My present V8 Corvair is a Kelmark conversion with a front mounted
radiator, two large intakes under the bumper and a couple of 8 square
inch openings in the front panel and a "manly" air dam. It has one older
electric fan and it cools just fine. The fan is not necessary at highway
speeds.
http://members.cox.net/tkalp2/kv8.htm
It will lift the unlatched engine cover at speed also.

 From my expeience it is a lot easier to get a front mounted radiator to
cool. Several people have make rear mounted radiators work.

Bill Bertram uses a vertical mounted rear mounted radiator, but has
built scoops to pull air up from under the car to the radiator. The
builder of the 3.5 Cad V8 told me at the Detroit convention, that adding
scoops to pull air from under the car lowered temps by 40 degrees.
http://v8vairs.com/images/BertramBill/billbertram.htm

Hope this information helps some. V8 Corvairs are a lot of fun.

Terry Kalp
Wichita, KS