<VV> From the family of Richard "Dick" Shank

lonzovair at aol.com lonzovair at aol.com
Mon Sep 14 00:09:01 EDT 2009

Mrs. Shank, and friends on Virtual Vairs,

My heart is saddened by Dick's passing. He and I shared several emails over the years, and of course when something would come up, whether it was corvair or not, we would send a few emails back and forth. I remember two years ago when the "Senior Olympic Games" were in Louisville, KY, and Dick was a participant (in his early 70s), and he spoke of running through Iroquois Park. I told him that was a "hang out" of mine back in high school, and he told me of all the hills he ran up and down throughout the park, as well as the 69 year old lady who was just a few seconds behind him at the finish line. I told him about the picture I have of my mother when she was first dating my Dad, and she is sitting in his 1953 Cadillac parked at the "lookout" in that same park... and had I known he was in town I would have loved to cheer him on, since I'm just an hour south of Louisville.

One of the greatest things about the internet is the opportunity to meet people and not realize how old they really are. I've been blessed with many internet friends over the years, and Dick was one of them. About 10 years ago when we first met online it didn't matter to him that I was in my 30s, we shared a common interest, a common bond, and that was our love of Corvairs.

Back in November of last year, Dick wrote a very touching tribute to Mark Ellis at his untimely passing... little did I realize while reading it that Dick would follow Mark?less than a year later. I can only hope one of his close friends can find the words that evade me at this time...

Dick leaves many friends here on Virtual Vairs, and he will be missed, but it doesn't compare to the gigantic loss to his family and friends there in northern Indiana. Please know that my prayers, as well as those of his other Virtual Vairs friends, are with you and your family and friends at this time.

I can only hope you can find some?solace in the words found in?Matthew 5:4...

With my sincerest condolences,

Lon "Lonzo" Anderson