<VV> Rear Mounted 215 & Air Flow

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon Sep 14 22:11:57 EDT 2009

Roy:  I've had an off line exchange with Jim Briggs about his situation.
Since I have the Hot Rod Jan 1966 article in my V-8 file, I thought I should
take a look  at it to see if what you think you remember is correct.

It's not.  Or at least so far as I can tell.  There is nothing in the HR
article about what way the air flowed thru his radiator, which was mounted
horizontally above the transaxle. From the one picture of the installation
from below the car, I think his fans sucked air down, because the straight
edge of the fan blades are closest to the radiator.  The fans have shrouds
around the blades, but the air flow to and from the radiator is othervise
completely inducted. The stock air chamber at the base of the rear window is
removed, allowing air to circulate everywhichway.

It is very possible Silva developed another radiator mounting method and
location.  The HR article was about his first conversion.

Art wrote a article in the July 1982 Communique.  It was in reply to west
coast written article in the Jan 1982 on the same topic.

I don't know if Art or his company is still around.  I hope so on the
former, doubt it on the later.

Historically Yours,
                   James Rice
                   CORSA member since mid-70's
                   Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                   Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                   CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                   Occasional contributor to the Communique
                   PCG member

Message: 3