<VV> Early wheel backspace

Jim McLott Jim.McLott at DOR.GA.GOV
Tue Sep 15 22:07:50 EDT 2009

Congratulations!  I could link to both pictures.  Right now I'm sitting at my home computer using a Microsoft Outlook Web Access client to access my Outlook mailbox on the network at work.  If I can see the pictures using this Rube Goldberg set-up, other people should have no problem.

Jim McLott & Christine, the 1966 Monza convertible wonder-car
Member: CORSA, Corvair Atlanta, Heart of GA Corvairs and Group Red (ret.)
http://www.wittelaw.com/personal/groupred/mclott.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org on behalf of Bryan Blackwell
Sent: Tue 9/15/2009 9:20 PM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject: <VV> Early wheel backspace

I mentioned in a previous post we are shopping for some wheels for our
wagon project.  One dimension is backspace, that is the distance from
the inner edge of the wheel to the face that fits against the drum.
Problem is, if there is a tire on the wheel that bulges past the edge,
how does one measure this without making a straightedge of just the
right length?

Well, you can't, really.  The solution was to be found at the hardware
store.  I got some 1/16th thick by 1 1/4 wide flat stock that had 3/8"
holes punched every inch.  Cutting two 12" pieces and using a couple
bolts and nuts finger tight gave me an adjustable straightedge that
goes from 12" to 22", sufficient for any wheels I'm likely to measure.

Now that I had a tool for the job, I was able to measure some wheels
that I bought cheap to test fit on the wagon.  Size is 15 x 6.5, and
they fit well on the rear.  On the front, there's just barely
clearance to the tie rod end, I could slip an index card between the
wheel and tie rod, but that was about it.  Backspace measures 5 1/8",
which I'd definitely consider the maximum for a stock early.

Finally, I'm trying out the attachment feature on VV.  If I set this
up right, there will be a link somewhere below to a photo of the
adjustable straightedge described above, and the 15" wheel next to a
stock wheel and tire which illustrates the plus sizing concept of
using a larger diameter wheel and lower profile tire.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa