<VV> Tires for the 67

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Sep 16 12:55:37 EDT 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Jay Pitchford wrote:

> Mike - check out this link:  http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
> <http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html>You can put in the stock
> tire
> height for the 'vair (185/80-13 for the LM, similar or same for the
> EM),
> then type in your potential match beside it. You'll find you
> 205-70-14 is a
> decent choice for matching original, as you're running 61.6 MPH when
> the
> gauge says 60 (or about 2.6% big). However, typing in the 205/75-14
> doesn't
> look so good. Personal opinion, I'd try the 195/70-14 for a better
> fit both
> width and height with the goal you're looking to achieve.
>
> Jay Pitchford
> Columbus OH
> 65 Corsa 140/4 Vert
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM, <Mikeamauro at aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Needing tires and still pondering what to do. Presently using
>> 205/70/14s
>> mounted on Camaro rally wheels. I'm considering changing to
>> 205/75/14.
>> This
>> change in profile would provide a slightly taller tire, with a
>> little
>> narrower tread width. It's the wife's driver, and the narrower
>> width  would
>> help
>> a little in low speed turning situations. Has any one else used the
>> 205/75/14 size on a late model? Comments? Thanks...Mike Mauro
>>
>> _

Here are the approximate diameters of original Corvair tires:

6.50-13 = 24.5"

7.00-13 = 25.3"

By going to this link: http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

You can calculate the mathematical diameter of the 185/80-13, which is
24.7".

My regular site no longer has the 80-series 13's showing:

http://ejelta.com/tiresize/

Obviously the 185/80-13 is a good replacement for the 6.50-13. but
still small for the 7.00-13.

A look at 14" sizes here: http://ejelta.com/tiresize/index.html?ws14=1&

will reveal that a 205/70-14 is exactly the same diameter as a 7.00-13
and a good replacement for it, if you're trying to get the original
diameter.

You will also see that a 215/70-15 is 26.11" - a mighty tall tire! I
certainly would approach a tire of that diameter with caution, as you
may have some interference. If I could, I'd find a used tire that size
and mount it, them put the wheel on to see how it fits. Personally, I
wouldn't run a tire that tall, unless you were setting the car up for
economy runs ;-)

As for tread width, generally you will find that, as the section ratio
goes down (like from 75 to 70), the tread width will increase. Look at
it this way - a tire, in cross section is kinda' oval shaped. Now
flatten it at the bottom, to create the tread width. Let's say that's
5". And we'll say our tire is a 75-series tire. Now, let's pretend
we're going to change the tire to one with a 70 series. We'll do this
by slicing the oval off higher up on the tire. You could also say
we're flattening the oval - the tire - more. This makes the section
ratio lower (like from 75 to 70), the diameter smaller and the tread
width wider. The tread width gets wider because, you're slicing the
tire off higher up the oval where the oval, and thus the tire, is wider.

Looking on this site: http://tinyurl.com/qodovp

we see that this Dunlop tire changes its tread width as follows:

205/65-15 = 6.3"

205/70-15 = 6.2"

205/75-15 = 5.7"

Why isn't the change in tread width more proportional? I don't know;
just the way they makes those tires. This illustrates why you should
always check the manufacturer's specs.

Finally, regarding steering effort, I think tire construction will
make as much difference as anything. I recently put new tires on the
front of my Corvair and the steering effort is quite a bit less.
There's no other reason for this except for tire construction.

Another factor is tire pressure. If you want to reduce steering effort
without changing tires, simply put more air in your tires. I'd try 4
psi more air in the front tires and see how it feels. Don't get too
far off the 10 psi differential between your fronts and rears on your
Corvair.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer & Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC
Stock Corvair Group
Performance Corvair Group
bwschug at charter.net

CORSA member since 1980

'67 Monza. "67AC140"

P.S.

Seth - I bet you were just waiting for me to do this, weren't you?