<VV> Variant 140 secondary

Stan stan at fnal.gov
Thu Sep 17 16:02:39 EDT 2009

Hi all,
    I have with help figured out my variant secondaries. I am going to
post all the info in one post to close the issue. First here is what I
asked about.
   Here is the project I am doing. Rebuilding 140 secondaries. They are
in 65 convert, power glide. The motor may not be a 65. I have a 65
technical manual and Clarks books, so I think I have the correct info to
do the job.

   Here is what I have done so far. Bought carb kits from Clarks.
Removed and cleaned it all. Soaked them and sprayed them out. So far so
good. Every thing seems okay so far. I am doing one at a time so I have
an example of a assembled carb in front of me.

   I have read about the accel pump in secondaries. Some say yes, some
say no. Don't know what to do there yet. My base seems to have the
circuit in it that allows gas to flow from the accel pump area into the
next vertical hole in the base. I think you call it the power enrichment
circuit. Anyway, on my base that next hole has a small metal ball,
spring and t-shaped brass part to hold it in the hole. The hole has a
nice machined hole in it near the top of the base to allow fuel to
proceed into the venturi area. It also has a very thin, small cut on the
base where the top half would meet the bottom half, just above the
machined hole. This seems to allow even more fuel into the venturi. I
test assembled the carb with a accel pump installed with rubber cup and
put gas in it on the bench. When you operate the throttle, gas comes out
of the cut area. If you operate the throttle quickly, gas come from both
the cut and the hole below it. Both my bases have this ball,spring and
cut. I don't know about the primaries. I hope I described this well
enough to now ask the question. I don't see the ball,spring and t-shaped
part in any carb kit or carb parts list in Clarks listing for carbs
parts. The part that seems to be shown that does go in this hole is a
plain brass needle valve.

The various answers came to the following conclusion.
- the ball/spring in the fuel pump mixture tube is an alternative to the
stock brass needle. someone though this would be better
- the small cut in the bowl at the fuel pump mixture tube connecting it
to the main venturi is a mod to get more fuel when the fuel pump is
activated

Other info that came from reading and talking to other folks.
- this carb is a primary made into a secondary. The bowl has the fuel
mixture screw filled in with expoxy
- the installed fuel pumps did not have cups on them, I guess that is
original for a secondary

So now here is my theory on these carbs.
- they started life as primaries.
- they got modified to squirt more fuel as a primary by doing the
ball/spring and cut mod
- then some where along the line, someone decided these would be better
as secondaries and put tops on it with out the choke hole drilled out
etc. they changed to fuel pumps without cups. they left the other mods
in there to confuse a guy like me, as they do nothing when used as a
secondary.

Well thats about it. Thanks for the help. I am going to try using these
liek I got them, but cleaned up so the actually work again.

Stan