<VV> Driver killed when '65 Corvair convertible crashes

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 19 20:38:25 EDT 2009

I just added my comments. This in the wake of Dick Shank's passing is too
heartbreaking for words. I have been expecting Dick's death since the
convention, when a mutual friend informed me of his dire condition. Phil
was at the convention, and I always looked forward to seeing him there. As
I have already posted, his handlebar mustache made him easily spotted. But
his warm personality and friendly nature always made having him around a
joy.

I've lost two more dear friends.... :o(

-Mark Corbin

P.S. I've had a Corvair flip on me. But it took a ditch big enough to
swallow the entire roof diagonally of the LM 4dr I was driving. I also
T-boned a Ford wagon with one, after an idiot pulled out from a side road
100 feet ahead of me, and I was doing 55 at the time. The impact drove the
drivetrain forward and bent the motor mounts, but I walked away - from both
accidents, with not a scratch (in the former one), and a bump on the chin
(in the latter one).

Our first one (also a 65  Convertible) was bought in 1967 for only $1000
with only 11,000 miles on it.  Actually that's the MOST money we ever paid
for a Corvair.
>      Reminds me of the time some years ago when the Audi was accused of
"unintended acceleration" and for some time you could pick up used ones for
very little money.
>      By the way, in regards to Corvairs "flipping", in all the time the
NECC ran Corvairs at Lime Rock RACE track (over 30 YEARS) we only had ONE
flip over onto its roof.  And that was a highly modified race ready version
which fortunately for the driver had a full roll cage that kept the roof
from collapsing very far.  All the many other Corvairs that ran there never
flipped, but "some" of them spun out due to the over-confidence of their
drivers (like ME).<GGGGG>.