<VV> Tach Accuracy Check

Jay Pitchford jay.pitchford at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 10:51:10 EDT 2009

>From the VV archives, courtesy of Dennis Pleau:
"A door bell transformer has a 12V AC 60 hz out put which is similar to the
signal on the tach line off the coil that is connected to the tach.
The 60 hz is very tightly controlled on the power grid so it is a very good
source to calibrate at tach. 60 hx = 1200 RPM. The + and -
connections of the tach need to be connected to a battery or a DC power
supply when calibrating. If your tach is completely dead, you
probably have a component failure, either a transistor, capacitor in the
tach or an open wire between the coil and the tach."

OK, most doorbell xfmrs I'm finding are 16V. I have found a 120VAC-to-12VAC
transformer on eBay, rated at 0.48A, 60W. Can anyone tell me if that
wattage will work? I don't want to do any damage to the Corsa tach unit. I
strongly suspect mine is running about 800 revs too high.

Can you tell it's going to be a rainy day in Columbus OH and I am looking
for Sunday 'vair projects????

Again, thanks!