<VV> Corvair accident

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Sun Sep 20 21:22:11 EDT 2009

>From studying the photo, this looks like an unusual accident. The two
fellows further back down the median are standing on what looks like a
pass-through across the median. It's level with the road and has rather
steep sides, down to the regular median grass-surface.

Phil might have hit this as he was trying to steer the car back onto the
road and it sent him airborne. The front wheels are turned to the right and
the under-nose area is crushed upward and back, as you might expect from
that first impact..

The first black spots on the road and in the grass, midway between the car
and the pass-through might indicate his first re-contact after the launch
and his left front fender indicates that the nose appears to be crushed
downward, as the car hit and pivoted over backward at this point.

By now, the car was coming down on it's roof and simply slid the final
distance, until it came to a stop.
I don't think you can fault the car design under these circumstances. I'd be
very interested in the police report, to see if they noted the same details.
Just about any vehicle would be launched after hitting that mini 'ramp'.

My heart goes out to Phil and his family. I'm sure they will be looking at
the report too and hopefully, they will find some assuring answers to their
own questions.

Mel Francis
'65 Monza Convertible