<VV> Fwd: Re: Comments to the Virginia DMV (humor)

mike hicks mhicks130 at cox.net
Sun Sep 20 22:24:51 EDT 2009

I do back up Mike Stillwell on this - it IS all up to the cop.  I've
been pulled over a few times since I got my 65 and put antique plates on
it - all by the same guy.  I finally called the sheriff's department and
told them what was happening and he hasn't pulled me over since.  I
drive by lots and lots of cops, both sheriff's deputies and state police
and only the one guy even notices me.  He feels like the vigilante here,
that antique plates are for show cars only and he doesn't feel my car
qualifies.  I have to agree to be honest but it's a nice looking car and
clearly a classic.  I actually called and talked to the state police
office in charge of "safety" inspections in VA (since my guy's big
bugaboo was safety inspections - which antique plated cars are exempt
from) and they said I was fine with how I was using my car and that the
deputy was wrong.  They even told me which sections of the code to print
and carry in my car.

Misuse of the antique plates is a problem here.  The only requirement is
that the car be 25 years old so a lot of old sedans and trucks qualify
and you see them driving around looking like they shouldn't be on the
road.  The thing is, antique plates get you out of the stupid "safety"
inspection but they also get you out of paying VA's property tax they
charge on cars.  For my car that's not a big deal but it could be for
some. I only have antique plates to avoid the hassle of the
inspections.  I've got three cars that have to get inspected every year
(including our Rampside) and it's a pain in the butt.  I know Frank
thinks they're great but in my mind they're worthless and annoying.  The
Rampside has regular registration because we use it to haul stuff (which
is prohibited by the law).  Luckily there's a guy at our local
inspection place that loves it and inspects it properly.