<VV> Results of Tire Size Request

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Sep 21 21:51:35 EDT 2009

Bruce,

I matched them by revs/mile.  If you think about it, static diameter
doesn't really matter to the gearing, revs/mile does.  So, from the
BFG web site, Traction T/A:

195/60-15 is 860 revs/mile
205/60-15 is 842.

Now, the late speedos are calibrated for 825 revs/mile and the Chevy
tire spec was 833.  Tire spec for 6.50-13 was 853 revs/mile.  Problem
is, a bias-ply and a radial don't flex the same, so you don't end up
with exactly the same diameter tire.  A 205/65-15 would be close in
diameter at 25.5, but on those wheels I'd be worried they'll hit the
fenders, and the revs/mile spec is 817.  You could use a 195/65-15 at
832, which is right on the spec, but it's not an easy to find size
last I looked, and they are short in diameter as well at 25" even.

Thus, I stand by the 205/60-15 as the best fit for a Corvair with
7.00-13s and 195/60-15 for cars with 6.50-13s.  The only significant
difference is visual (especially once you've moved the contact patch
out an inch), and I don't think most of our calibrated eyeballs are
good to 1/4" of ride height.  It's not misleading, beyond the fact is
that the tires today don't measure the same as the ones in the 60's.

--Bryan