<VV> Paint, the ForbiddenMention

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Sep 22 00:30:56 EDT 2009

At 12:40 PM 9/21/2009, airvair at earthlink.net wrote:
>My trailer (which is a '93) was originally painted Cadillac red, with a
>clearcoat. The clearcoat has taken to peeling off, leaving the base coat
>exposed. Based on that and other experiences, I wouldn't paint a car with
>basecoat/clearcoat.

If the base coat was lacquer and the clearcoat something else (like
acrylic enamel or urethane) I'd agree.   I checked around about that
specific point (urethane clear over lacquer) and noticed that it has
a tendency to not stick well via anecdotal evidence from shops that
did it.    Likewise some of the motorcycle painting I looked at along
the way which included a variety of bikes wearing a fancy custom
striped flamed lacquer basecoat and urethane clear... which was
cracking and peeling on several bikes I saw.   Of course they had the
clearcoat layered on them like pancake syrup...  'course it's not
gonna stay.

Likewise most acrylic enamels, which would tend to peel and flake off
lacquer after a while if the surface wasn't carefully prepped, seen
it a lot.

...maybe that "apply clear over unsanded basecoat" thing is kinda
bogus; I always wet sanded the base coat, no peeling or unsticking issues.

Hell, even the malfarctioning red basecoat-clearcoat on the top half
of the '60 Monza isn't peeling, it's just hazing itself into
chalk.   Likely gonna repaint the top half of the car with that
Datsun lacquer which is damned close to the Roman red that went on it
before (the sides, nose, and rear of the '60 Monza still look fine,
clear and glossy).   And no clear coat this time, just to see how
that old red holds up...

tony..