<VV> Paint, was: Comments to the Virginia DMV (humor) and the ForbiddenMentionof painting

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Sep 22 00:43:12 EDT 2009

At 02:45 PM 9/21/2009, Harry  Yarnell wrote:
>Not knowing what 'surface energy' is, I figured that the relative
>roughness of the lacquer was enough 'tooth' for the Imron topcoat.
>On another note, I painted (and still own) a '65 Corsa that I
>painted in an Art Artzburger paint scheme (stripes on the engine and
>trunk lids) with a black body; all in Dupont lacquer. Clearcoated in Imron.
>This was maybe 25 years ago. Still looks beautiful.

Did you wetsand the color coat before clearcoating?

I STILL believe it's a mistake to not wetsand the basecoat before
clear.    The clearcoat needs some tooth to grip if it's of
dissimilar compounds than the base coat and the solvents in the cat
paints simply don't grab onto lacquer like the lacquer clears easily
do.   Seems rational that a good wetsand with thousand+ grit would be
the way to go if you wanted a non-lacquer clear to stick to a lacquer base.

All the examples of that combo I ever saw that were peeling showed a
glossy lacquer basecoat under the peeling clear, mostly on those
motorcycles I mentioned in an earlier post.

tony..