<VV> Testudo & 928

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Tue Sep 22 21:34:35 EDT 2009

All:  The Testudo was built on a shorten Corvair floorpan by Italian coach
maker Bertone...in 1963.  Which is actually about the same time span GM
Design produced the Monza GT and SS.

The Porsche 928 came out in 1977.  Big time lag there.  So the 928 looks
like the Testudo, not the other way around.  You also have to include the
AMC Pacer in the deviant off spring of the Testudo.

I personally think the Pininfarina Coupe 2+2 from 1963 was the best looking
Corvair based show car.  I could have been a useable car.

I love the Monza GT and SS...in photos.  They are such small cars.  Chuck
Jordan gave me a ride in the Monza SS at Detroit in '79.  It was to small
for a guy of his or my height.  I also remember seeing Dave Newell riding in
the Monza GT that day, all bent over and tilted toward the center.  Great
car if you want to ride ear to ear with the driver.  Likewise, the Astro I
was two small for me.

Historically Yours,
			James Rice
                  CORSA member since mid-70's
                  Former Chairman of the Competition Committee
                  Member of original CPF Advisorary Committee
                  CORSA/CPF BoD member and CPF Liaison 1999-01
                  Occasional contributor to the Communique
                  PCG member

Message: 4