<VV> axle bearing (price)

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Sep 23 15:56:26 EDT 2009

Before we start complaining too much about the price, bear in mind
that the early rear axle bearing is a very special part indeed - it
has to roll in one dimension and turn in the other two, all while
holding up the heavy end of the car.  As much as it's nice to pay
less, this is really *not* a part to skimp on.  You do *not* want a no-
name bearing at that location because really bad things can happen if
it fails catastrophically.  The reason they're expensive is because
they are difficult to make, and you must use good materials.

As far as I can tell, the relatively inexpensive option is to get a
set of good used bearings and grease them.  If that isn't an option,
then buying the repro bearings appears to be the best solution.
Grease them per instructions and they should last a very long time.
Anything else invites a "pay me later" scenario.

--Bryan