<VV> painting on the cheap

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Sep 23 23:16:04 EDT 2009

At 01:05 PM 9/23/2009, Chris & Bill Strickland wrote:
>from that Corvair $50 Paint Job website
>
>Update, 11-25-07
>
>Since this car was painted, Oct. 2006, the "state of the art" in roller
>painting has moved on. Interlux Brightsides marine top [deck] paint
>seems to be the paint of choice. It is a single stage polyurethane paint
>with UV inhibitors and self leveling/flow additives.

Several years ago I bought 4 gallons of boat paint with various
weather resistant additives, including enzymes that are supposed to
fend off barnacles.   ;)

The paint's additives had an expiration date so I got it for
country-dirt cheap.   It's stated as being lacquer but I don't think
it actually is...  whatever it is, I got white, red, black, and
clear.    The less than informative labels that came with this paint
(look like those plain white w/black text labels on industrial
supplied paint products) said to cut these paints with mineral
spirits.   No manufacturer's name was listed, just a stocking
number.   Scuttlebutt said it may have been distributed by some
outfit called Dolphin Inc but I dunno...  they did say the stuff
originally cost something like 320 bucks/gallon.    :O     ??   Not
real sure I believe that.

I got it for 12 bucks/gallon...

If it's really lacquer I wonder what would happen if I did thin it
with mineral spirits (aka Varsol)...    ;)    Gonna require some
experimentation, I think.

I actually bought the stuff to maybe paint the shed and doors to the
garage and whatever else similar might need paint on it.    Ended up
with a smoking deal on some high-test paint from Lowes (coupon sale)
that I rolled on instead that's hanging in there nicely.   Later on,
someone on the web talked about this same boat paint and that he
painted a Fox body Mustang with it and the car turned out nice.

Maybe I need to shoot some onto something to see how it goes...

tony..