<VV> Knocking lifter

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicsmba.com
Fri Sep 25 13:14:12 EDT 2009

I, too, have been involved with Tesla and drove most prototypes and
helped a bit with design issues and was a founding investor.  It has
been fun!  Due to a lot of complicated things we are no longer
involved except for the stock.  I never got to go to Lotus, though,
so you got one on me :-)

The angle of the push rod is important and could be the
problem.  Mine looked mashed at the tip.  And then failed.  To be
picky (as some have pointed out) that part is not really machined,
but installed by the machine shop (so I don't know why people need to
be so picky) -- in any case I had to take the head off and send it
back.  Actually -- I am not sure I can think of 10 things that would
mash the end except a bad angle or a deviant rocker.  A loose nut,
loss of oil, all kinds of things can cause lifter noise, but mashing
the end like that is fairly specific.  Perhaps others have more ideas
-- but consider the mashed end ... Eric