<VV> Acetone and ATF

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sat Sep 26 09:11:37 EDT 2009

There is another thing you can use that doesn't cause the storage problems
mentioned.

OIL OF WINTERGREEN----Used to be very popular as a liniment.  Navy
Boatswains' Mates call it "Nutcracker".   Always kept a few pint bottles on
board ship.  When a nut (usually one that would require a 3-4" wrench) on a
ship would need to be removed, and usually the threads were rusted from salt
water,
someone from the deck dep't would come to Sick Bay to ask the Corpsman for
some "Nutcracker".  Just pour it on the threads and you can remove the
seized nut.

You can buy oil of wintergreen in small plastic bottles in most drug and
grocery stores.

Hank
former Navy Pharmacy Tech