<VV> Battery Explosion

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Sep 26 14:46:08 EDT 2009

At 11:49 AM 9/26/2009, Bill Hubbell wrote:
>I was in the final stages of getting my 1964 Stock Sedan ("Alice") ready to
>go to the Corvette Musuem this morning.  I had pushed the car out into the
>driveway to do some last minute items and having finished I got in the car
>to start it up and back it into the garage.  The minute I turned the key
>there was a loud "BANG", kind of like a backfire.

Hydrogen explosion.

All it takes is an older battery (they tend to shed hydrogen) or an
overcharged battery and a slight spark from almost anything close
enough to lite it.   A battery terminal that's marginal will do it,
likely what happened here.

Happened to me once, only in my case I was present and up close to
witness what happened.   Older battery (in a Mopar) which experienced
the "dead overnight" symptom so I popped it on a charger and let it
eat for a while.   I came back out after a bit to check to see if it
would start (charger still hooked up) and as I walked around the
cables stringing out from the front of the car I jostled one and it
evidently sparked at the terminal which provided ignition for the
hydrogen oozing out of the battery, which exploded.   This was a BIG
battery in a bigblock musclecar and it blew the top off with a bang
that made my ears ring and sent pieces of red Advance Store battery
flying around and sprayed electrolyte here and there and onto me.

Garden hose, on the car and on me, no damage other than to my dignity
and ego and wallet for the new battery.

Yes, they will explode and violently.

tony..