<VV> Battery Explosion

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Sep 26 17:57:09 EDT 2009

Bill,

First, if not Hydrogen to fuel the explosion then what else could it be?
Put on your thinking cap. The lead plates exploded? The liquid water
exploded? The plastic case ignited? Somewhere in your doctor learning
they had chemistry. Hydrogen and oxygen are the byproducts of charging
the battery. They are always present in some quantity inside the
battery. The right mix with a spark and, well, you see the results. What
is not usually found in the battery is the spark. Some internal failure
caused a spark. And no, it is not unheard of. I myself have seen three
explosions All when the driver turned the key to start the engine. Makes
me wonder when I am leaning over the engine compartment while someone
else trys starting an engine. But it is a rare enough occurrence that
most people don't think about it. I also have seen the battery explode
from outside forces, like in Tony's case. A fellow I worded with was
twisting the battery terminal while another employee turned the key. I
took him to the hospital to get his eyes washed out. But, that was
people doing stupid things. Yours was a case of battery failure through
NO fault on your part. You did everything right, things just happen.

You battery tender is probably fine. What do you think it is doing when
it is tending the battery? That's right, charging it when needed. So
even a battery tender makes a battery produce hydrogen gas and oxygen.
New or old, doesn't matter. Chemistry is the same all over. There is no
way a battery tender can prevent the formation of hydrogen and oxygen IF
it is doing its job of charging the battery! See chemistry 101. If a
battery tender never charged the battery, the battery would go dead.
Them electrons have to flow to get work done.

I am glad Alice survived, and you weren't looking at the engine when it
happened.

Frank DuVal