<VV> regulatored

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Sep 26 20:32:28 EDT 2009

At 05:44 PM 9/26/2009, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Bryan,
>
>I've heard is said (have no personal experience) that the internally
>regulated alternators do not stand up well to the heat in the Corvair engine
>compartment.  I have no idea whether or not there is a spec of truth to
>this.

Likely an old wives tale.  The majority of semiconductors used in
simple circuitry like an alternator regulator are perfectly happy
cooking right along at temps as high as 400 degrees or more without
any problems.   Capacitors likely don't much care for temps over 300
degrees if they're electrolytics but how often does anything in an
engine bay get hot enough to flash-boil water unless something was on
fire?    ;)   Besides, the caps in those regulators weren't usually
electrolytics anyway.

Stick that internal reg alt in the 'Vair and head out.   No problems.

tony..