<VV> Wireing needs

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Sat Sep 26 22:02:04 EDT 2009

With all this talk of alternator conversions and regulators, I wanted to
give this input.

Everything that I have rewired on my Corvair I have tried to make look as
stock as possible, including my stereo. I have used the "glueless" black
tape to copy the stock harness. Clark's number C9948 tape, page 99 in the
catalog seemed to be rather expensive when I first looked at it. However, it
is MUCH easier to work with than other brands that I have used. The nice
thing over standard black tape is that over time there is no glue to ooze
out and make the harness sticky. It also makes changes easier.  I recommend
it to anyone that wants to clean up the wiring such as in the engine
compartment.

I also found a good source for the wire connectors used on Corvairs.

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/

Click on Connectors and scroll down to the Delphi Packard 56, 58 and 59
series connectors and terminals. They have all the crimp terminals and
plastic connector housings available. They even have the pin connector for
the back of the cigarette lighter and early & late firewall connectors.

I recently helped a guy in my chapter swap a generator with an internally
regulated alternator in his 64.  When I re-wired it, I removed all the tape
wrapping from the stock harness along the engine side by the battery. I
re-wrapped the new alternator wires along with the stock ones. An untrained
eye could not tell that the car did not come with the alternator. I like
clean wiring.

Dave Thompson

63 Spyder vert

Westminster, CA