<VV> Battery Explosion

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 27 14:45:08 EDT 2009

At 02:22 PM 9/27/2009, shortle wrote:
>I think 10 years on a battery sounds EXCESSIVELY FRUGAL. They should
>be changed periodically as preventative maintenance. I don't look
>for the cheapest priced battery either as they always seem to fail
>at the worst possible time (Murphy's Law). Glad you weren't hurt
>Bill. They are VERY dangerous.
>Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
>4 year battery replacement is my rule of thumb

My rule of thumb is when the battery won't crank the car on that
November Monday morning at 7 AM.   The following morning there will
be another battery in the box and the old one will be in the recycle
box at the vender's.

I generally get 4-5 years out of a battery in a 'Vair although there
have been exceptions.   I bought a nice green Interstate battery that
cost good money, expecting good service, it lasted two whole years by
which time it was so wasted it would not start the car if it required
cranking for more than about 5 seconds.   That, in the black Spyder...

Another Interstate battery (group 24) in the Corsa ragtop behaved
similarly, worsely, irritatingly, failing in little more than a
year.   Bought a replacement from Wal-Mart that worked fine for three
years before the car got parked for three more years without being as
much as touched... recharged the battery after it had been sitting
for those three years and not only did it take a good charge it
cranked the engine nicely and solidly, including later on after
sitting a week, and still behaves as if it had never been ignored for
years.   I never thought it would have come back like it did.

Got a number of type 51s in various Vairs here that continue to be
cycled and replaced as they wear and weaken and eventually
fail.   Interstate I'm sure has not always made crappy batteries... I
must have gotten a couple from a bad batch for both to have failed so
soon in different cars while other brand replacements lasted forever
in the same vehicles.

...likewise a Bosch battery I expected good things from, which lasted
less than two years before going belly-up, won't accept enough charge
to crank the red '60 more than a few seconds.   Wal-Mart again, 51 in
the box two years now and cranks the car like a champ.

tony..     has a collection of worn out batteries around back