<VV> Viton at NASA - not much Corvair

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Sep 27 20:48:05 EDT 2009

FYI, the SRBs certainly did use Viton, and Dr. Feynman famously demo'd
that it's not elastic enough in below freezing temps, which the
shuttle saw the night before the crash.  The crash has been pretty
conclusively shown to have been caused by temperature related failure
of the Viton o-rings coupled with flexing of the booster joints on
liftoff.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster
http://www.fotuva.org/online/frameload.htm?/online/challenger.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qAi_9quzUY

Now, a Corvair doesn't have the same requirements as a shuttle
booster.  The Viton is effective in our relatively stationary joints,
versus a booster joint that sees enough pressure to throw a shuttle
into orbit and actually bows the aluminum case out on ignition.

If you'd like a good read, you can go to my site and search for
Classic Feynman and get a copy from Amazon.  It includes a CD of one
of his lectures about his experiences on the Manhattan Project.

--Bryan

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
  Corvairs: '62 700 Wagon, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa