<VV> Corvairs in the Curves

Scott Trunkhill strunkhill1 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 27 22:35:29 EDT 2009

I had a great time the the 19th Corvairs in The Curves put on by
CORSA SC in Greenville, SC. Even though the forecast was for rain the
event was held anyway. A light mist was falling during the morning
test and tune runs.

For the timed runs we were told to run three runs and then after
everyone had their three runs they would open it up for the unlimited
runs that this event is famous for.  This was due to the forecast
for rain.

Well we all got about two runs before the downpour came. It was so
heavy the timing lights for the timer wouldn't start because the
light beam wasn't making it across due to the rain. The cars with
street tires keep going and those of us with slicks sort of skipped
across the puddles as we tried our luck in the rain. Tony Ellison
finally tripped the timer by hand and we kept going.

After about 20-30 minutes of heavy rain it returned to a light mist
and the track was mainly just wet so I went back out for a few runs.
My times were only about one second slower than the earlier "dry"
runs.

After taking a break I headed back out and made about six runs in a
row. Each run was faster than the one before. I finally got down to a
42.2x and decided to let the car and myself rest. At this time I had
FTD.

Kevin Poe saw that my times were improving even though the course was
still wet and since I now was ahead of him for FTD he took his car
out for some more runs. After about 4-5 runs he ran a 41.7xx.

Well I couldn't let him beat me so I went back out again. I got down
to a 41.8xx and couldn't go any lower. I even spun a few times trying
to find that last five hundredths of a second but I couldn't do it.
Kevin won the  FTD trophy and I was given the Outstanding Performance
trophy. I have posted a couple of videos on http://corvair.tv and
also provided additional videos from Donnie Bird. I didn't get much
video myself as I was having too much fun racing.

There is an in-car video that will show you the course.

--
Scott Trunkhill
CORSA, Corvair Atlanta, SECC, CORSA SC
corvair at trunkhill.com