<VV> Still More Re: Battery Explosion

FrankCB frankcb at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 10:18:03 EDT 2009

Gary,
     A battery tender supplies the battery with a maintenance charge of only 13.5 volts while an alternator on a running engine easily supplies 14.2 volts and even higher when cold.   Which one do you think will be more likely to "generate some fumes from the battery".  Don't try to start the car with the battery charger (or tender) still connected.  Disconnect it first, leave the engine open to ventilate for a few minutes while you make sure the battery connections are sound and only then try to start the car.
     Lead-acid batteries in good condition typically lose 10% of their charge for every MONTH they receive no charging assuming there is NO connective drain on the battery.  So SIX months means more than HALF the battery's charge is gone.  If it wasn't in top-notch condition to start with, the loss is even worse.
     As you say, it's a GREAT idea to wear safety goggles when working on batteries.
     Frank "not always fully charged" Burkhard