<VV> Uniquely unstable - David Harney....

Secular rusecular at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 28 14:13:40 EDT 2009

  Excellent memory! ....here are excerpters from an article published in
  the Time magazine on August 20th, 1965 (Regarding David Harney & GM):

  ----

  G.M. fielded such counter experts as British Racing Driver Stirling Moss,
  who stoutly testified that the Corvair was safe, although a G.M. engineer
  also testified that on 1964 models a heavy transverse spring was added
  between the rear wheels-thus in fact improving the car's steering
  characteristics.

  In the end, though, G.M. Lawyer John Costanzo won by pinning the fault on
  Mrs. Collins as an "inexperienced" driver. Though she had driven the Corvair
  for four months before the accident, under cross-examination she admitted
  that she had only a learner's driving permit. Her panic at the sight of the
  truck on a narrow road caused the accident, argued Costanzo. "It had
  nothing to do with oversteer, understeer, neutral steer or whatever.

  After 43 days in court, the jury wound up more impressed by the circumstances
  of the accident than by the configuration of the Corvair. By a vote of
  eleven to one, the jury acquitted G.M. of responsibility...

  ----

  source:

  http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,841982,00.html

  Regards,