<VV> Corvairs in the News

Scott Morehead moreheadscott at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 21:07:24 EDT 2009

Lynden event celebrates 50th anniversary of the Chevrolet Corvair

MICHELLE NOLAN - FOR THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

LYNDEN - Jim Veale remembers the day in 1986
when he saw a 1962 Corvair on sale for $300 as he drove along Mount Baker
Highway.

He was 18, just out of Ferndale High School, and seemingly way too young to
remember the 1960s heyday of the innovative Chevrolet car. But he grew up
tinkering with his grandfather's several Corvairs, sometimes dubbed the
"poor man's Porsche," and he knew he had to have that car.

Veale, now a 41-year-old mechanic at Hinton Chevrolet-Buick, still has that
Corvair, polished to a fare-thee-well. He owns two other Corvairs as well.

PHILIP A. DWYER | THE
BELLINGHAM HERALD

Two of Veale's cars will be among as many as 50 Corvairs on display Friday, Oct.
2, when Hinton and the North Cascades Corvair Club celebrate the 50th
anniversary of the day the Corvair was unveiled. That was 12 years after Hinton
began selling cars in 1947.

Nearly two million Corvairs were sold during its 1960-69 run.

Lynden's Ron Scholten, 72, who was a Hinton salesman when the Corvair first
appeared and still works part time there, will help with the celebration. The
party will be coordinated by Galen Laird on Hinton's end.

Question: Jim, what made the Corvair so cool?

Answer: It's one of the first American compacts, the first mass-produced
American car with an air-cooled rear engine design, and it's turbo-charged.
It's known as a "flat six," since it has three cylinders on each
bank. A lot of people don't realize how many different types of Corvairs were
produced. There were station wagons, vans and pickups.

Q: Did your friends give you a hard time about owning a car first bought by
parents of baby boomers?