<VV> Toothed Belt/Pulley

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Thu Apr 1 19:53:21 EDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: <RoboMan91324 at aol.com>
Subject: <VV> Toothed Belt/Pulley

> Scotty,
>
> It is likely that, with a stock fan, the toothed belt would lose its teeth
> very quickly.  The high inertia of the fan would want to maintain its
> speed
> during quick changes in engine speed.  The Corvair belt/pulley system was
> designed to slip under these changing speed conditions to reduce stress on
> the
> belt and keep it from flying off.  That is why our belts must be loose.
>
> Doc
A toothed belt ( consider the HTD series  ) would be more efficient than a v
belt.

Agree that it needs a clutch in the sytem; this could be either a face
clutch or a centrifugal type, both can be sized to slip at a predetermined
torque....

Also, I would not be so sure that the vertical fan/belt system , at some
frequency/rpm, would not benefit from a belt keeper ...

So nice to occasionally see an improvement to the 'vairs come along.

regards, ken campbell, deltawerkes