<VV> Corvairs with 'Antique' plates ?

John Howell 32chevy at 0306.org
Sun Apr 4 22:22:04 EDT 2010

HI Kent,

I never bought a Corvair new and the plates I have were not the original
plates that were the first plates on any of the cars. Every few years
Tennessee changes plates so by the time I get the car it has gone through
many plates. The new cars that I have bought I would not consider collector
cars.

It is against the law in Tennessee to buy a new car and try to put antique
plates on it, by the time a car is old enough to use antique plates no one
has a clue what happened to the original plates. Consider yourself extremely
lucky to get a car with the original plates.

Most people that traded a Corvair in on another car had the plates
transferred to the new car. The last Corvair I bought about a year ago I got
from the second owner and he had it for 34 years. He is an old man and can`t
remember the name of the person he bought it from, and he claims he has
thrown away all records and papers but a few on the car. All he can remember
is that it was bought locally and has remained here. I have the registration
paper where he bought it from the original owner in 1976 but all it shows is
the original title number, when I called the TN DMV they refused to look up
the original owner`s name because of the privacy issues, what a loss !

Also the car came with an ` Antique ' plate on it, it had a really low
number but the TN DMV would not let me transfer that plate to my name, I had
to buy ` New '  Antique plate.

John Howell