<VV> Earliest Corvair found - again!

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Mon Apr 5 22:27:40 EDT 2010

There was some chatter here on VV a little while back
about the black 1960 Corvair sedan #375 that was up on
eBay a year and a half ago. Some speculated that the
reason why we hadn't heard anything about it after the
auction(s) was because the car may have been sold again on
another auction venue. I found out today that is not true.

I tried to call the man who owned the used car lot and ran
the eBay auction back in 2008. I found his name and phone
number after a Google search on the Internet. When that
number turned up out of service I used Mapquest to locate
businesses in town close to the used car lot. I found out
that Terry Schultz, the guy selling #375 had died of a
heart attack last year! I spoke to his dad and asked about
the black Corvair. He said that they still had it!

When Terry passed he left behind a rather large, eclectic
collection of collector cars. When I was in Indiana
looking at #375 he gave me the grand tour of the barn and
other out buildings. Cool stuff! Now his dad is going to
have to sell off the cars to settle the estate. He has the
power to do just that, so I left an offer for #375. I also
offered to help him find buyers for the other Corvairs in
the collection. As I recall, he has a 1969 Monza
convertible, another late model, a deluxe Rampside
(rusty!) and a drive-able Greenbrier. There were at least
50-60 other cars under cover as well. Bob Schultz said
that his son wasn't the best at documentation so he is not
sure what Terry paid for most of the cars and trucks.

If anybody has an interest in any of the Schultz Corvairs
please contact me off-list and I will try to help you
arrange a meeting. If #375 is to be sold I guess I am
ready to tackle that project. Back in 2008 I backed away
because I had just purchased Tom Fader's miles better
white '60 500 sedan for half of what Terry wanted for the
black car. Now that I have restored the Fader '60 and it
turned out so nice I really would like to restore #375;
the Oldest known surviving Corvair on the planet. -
Caveman Pete