<VV> Awards, was: Convention Schedule

airvair at earthlink.net airvair at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 9 17:56:14 EDT 2010

One of the main reasons concours was moved from the day of the banquet was
to allow time for score tabulation and trophy preparation, unlike (for
example) the autocross where results are instant. The '79 Detroit
convention was a prime example of what NOT to do. There the tabulation took
place during and afterwards, with the trophies already bought and
supposedly prepped, and the banquet that night.

I was in charge of the tabulating committee (lined up from my local Corvair
club) to do the tabulating on the fly as sheets were turned in during the
concours. Not withstanding a heroic effort on their part, the tabulating
ran well into the banquet time. THEN we found out that some nimrod had
purchased trophies according to a VERY obsolete class layout, taken from
rules that predated the already laid out class structure by some five
years! Talk about a mad scramble! And what a mess! We had to shuffle cars
from class to class, rework trophies, kill time at the banquet, and do some
horrific jockeying around to even make it work at all. To top it off (on a
personal note), I had to go without so much as a bathroom break for 14
hours. I'm a camel! LOL Needless to say, I NEVER want to see THAT again.

I think the following year, the concours was separated from the banquet
(awards ceremony) and placed at the start of the convention, so that both
became bookends, so to speak.

-Mark

Saturday