<VV> Pricing a Barn Find

peter koehler pkoehler01 at atlanticbb.net
Mon Apr 12 08:17:37 EDT 2010

Hey Gang! Just got back from the Charlotte AutoFair and am
trying to catch up on all of the usual "stuff" on VV. Paul
Sergeant's post about trying to buy an original Corvair
after reading about them in the Communique is just what I
had in mind when I sent that article to Mike McG for
publication. The blue '63 on the April cover did take a
number of years to purchase. The reason was that the owner
(the original dealer's son) thought the car was worth more
than I thought it was worth. A common problem that many
Corvair enthusiasts encounter as we "wheel and deal". My
point with the '63 sedan was that it was.. well, just a
'63 Monza sedan. It didn't have any "extras" like A/C or
K-H wire wheels. And, it had sat so long unattended that
the engine was locked up - just like the car that Paul is
looking at. By the time reality set in and the owner
decided to reduce his price the car had deteriorated even
more than when I first saw it. The only real casualty was
the upholstery. It is still there, but stained from the
mildew. I bought new seat covers at the Jacksonville
convention swap meet for an unbeatable price, but I'm not
sure that I want to destroy the originality of this car.

Paul's "find" is different in that is a more popular car
in a more popular color. Red Corsa coupes seem to get more
attention than blue early model sedans. The relative value
of the car in either as-found condition or B-J ready
reflects this trend. So Paul, try to buy that car and get
it back on the road. You may find that the engine will
break free and run fine after you check it over and clean
up whatever needs cleaning. By all means try to bring it
out of hibernation and back into the public eye.

And if you are ever ready to sell that '61 Tuck-under
Tempest Grocery Getter...give me a call! - Caveman Pete