<VV> Broken heater cable

wilson45 at iglou.com wilson45 at iglou.com
Thu Apr 15 10:00:48 EDT 2010

On Thu, April 15, 2010 07:31, Clark Hartzel wrote:
> Mike, I feel your pain!  My 1965 4-door has a broken cable loop and my
> quick fix was to remove the screw that holds it to the lever assembly and
> move the cable over under the ash tray area and screw it to the bottom of
> the dash. Now I just use a small pair of pliers to push and pull the cable
> as needed. Works like a charm!  Looks crappy but the thought of jacking
> the car up, removing all the tunnel pans and crawling around on hard
> concrete just turned me off fixing it the right way. Lazy Clark Hartzel
> Change your options:

When I changed the heater cable in my 1969. I removed the rear tunnel
cover to get access to the cable. I then made a hook in the old cable to
hook to the new cable inside the car. I covered this connection with black
tape to make it as smooth as possible. I also removed the crimped on screw
tab. I slowly pulled the new cable from inside the car toward the rear
using the old as a electrical fish tape. It pulled through easily.

Jeff
My Corvair Web Pages
http://1969corvair.com