<VV> Radial Engine, not Rotary

Jim Houston jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 16 09:15:46 EDT 2010

Doc:  ROTARY airplane engines have a fixed crank and the cylinders
rotate.  RADIAL engines have a fixed crankcase and cylinders and the
crankshaft rotates (same as regular engines).  Do a Google search on
LeRhone Rotary and Pratt & Whitney Radial engines for more details..
What you wrote is correct for ROTARY engines, by the way...  and, yes,
they slung oil - a lot!  Since they used Castor oil, the pilots back
then never had a problem with constipation!!

Jim Houston