<VV> Ironic observation re: parts availability; Was: 13" tires, etc.

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Sat Apr 17 12:19:23 EDT 2010

Those who know me may recall that my Corvair obsession began when my older
sister bought her first new car, a '63 Monza coupe.  After 5 years of
enjoying the Corvair, she traded it in on her dream car in the fall of '68, a
brand-new Corvette convertible.  The Corvette, perhaps predictably, was
stolen from our driveway two months to the day after she bought it.  I  recall
as she pondered her next purchase that a Corvair was considered and  quickly
dismissed.  The problem was not that she was unhappy in anyway with  her
Corvair.  In fact, she loved the car.  The problem was the  hand-writing was on
the wall and everyone knew it was just a matter of time  before the Corvair
would be discontinued.  The concern was that you  wouldn't be able to get
parts.  I would imagine that had I pressed my  father for an explanation
during that family discussion that his concern would  have been for obtaining
parts other than routine replacement items like tires,  batteries and spark
plugs.  I think it's ironic that now, 40 plus years  later, it's precisely
those replacement parts that are becoming harder and  harder to come by.  The
parts that one would consider more specific to the  Corvair are still, for
the most part, easy to come by as used, rebuilt or  reproduced!

~Bill Stanley