<VV> GM Wankels, Starfire, flying cars (Dennis Johnsey)

Dennis Johnsey USN (ret) dilligras at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 11:16:52 EDT 2010

I bought a new, six cylinder Olds Starfire in '75 because the V8 Monza required pulling the engine off its mounts to access sparkplugs. Now I know why. The wankel was also used by OMC in personal watercraft and by Moller Industries in their remarkable prototype eight-engined flying car.
>From the website:

http://www.moller.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=72

Emissions and fuel consumption
 	Uses our
proprietary low cost lean burn combustion process together with our
patented combustion surface coating and pre-heated incoming fuel-air
charge to greatly reduce both emissions and fuel consumption. This
technology has the potential to eliminate both the lubrication and
cooling systems.

 	Long engine life in a low-cost
design
 	Uses a new proprietary rotor and rotor cooling
technology to reduce rotor weight and related mechanical stresses
throughout the engine. Uses new apex seal material and proprietary
plasma sprayed internal coatings.   Maximum power with
minimum weight and size
 	Uses our proprietary porting
design and advanced component development to generate twice as much
power for its weight as most four-stroke competitors.   Modular
 design allows low cost power growth
 	One- and two-rotor
versions of the Rotapower 650 Series engine provide scalable power for
applications with requirements from 75 to 150 horsepower.   Ability
 to operate on any fuel
 	Proprietary technology developed
to lower emissions and fuel consumption also allows the use of any type
fuel with modest changes in the fuel injection system for operation with
 diesel fuel.

"Veddy intedesting!"[Arty Johnson]

Imagining 3 or 4 of those in a '64 convertible...

DJ
'62 Custom Corvan w/'66 110hp & powerglide

Message: 6