<VV> Stiff shifting

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 23:04:36 EDT 2010

My 62 Daily driver Monza with 4-speed has begun to exhibit an intermittant shifting behavior. The symptom is stiff movement into gear (usually, but not always, 4th gear). It comes and goes. It does not grind (except into 1st or 2nd since that synchro has been shot since I got the car). It goes into gear fine. It just is very stiff, as if there is a lot of friction. I dropped the tunnel pans and observed for possible mechanical interference with the shift tube, but everything looked fine. Warm or cold weather, just starting, or been driving a while, makes no difference.

Has anyone experienced this before?
 -- Doug Mackintosh
Corsa member since 1996
Corsa/NC member since 1996, Virtual Vairs member
Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on